Thursday 24 April 2014

GIS A JOB!

Well I do not know of any other news report that I have come across to sum up something so simple add this one!

In a very short report by the BBC it states that in America, sorry not here folks ... at least not yet, at some function a teen year old girl approached err Mrs Obama and handed the first lady her father's CV starting he had not worked for several years! Mrs Obama hugged the little girl!

That about says it all really. But mainly it states that there are still some serious issues regarding work in North America and that we seem to almost shadow them in these respects?

I read things like this and then wonder the will the quotes of our own government admit how much better we are doing and how this will improve?! It had always been a sad fact to me at any rate that we seem, as do others, to rely on America doing well for our own sakes? But then as our own pioneering industries have been systematically destroyed, dissolved or sold off many of these industries have been in great need in recent times.

In fact I an name two obvious ones of gold and science but with the admission that I am totally befuddled but pleased that the wonder material that had been the buzzword of recent times was created here between ourselves and the Irish. Though I am not entirely sure of the nationality of one who could be eastern European or even Russian?

That material is of course Graphene!

Being completely interested in many cutting edge areas of science I am quite excited by this creation. I cannot wait to see the effects of its use in electronics! But I am in for a nail biting wait add they are hoping to have manufacturing plants producing the material by the kilo by the end of 2014? We can only hope!
Looking about my other blogs, which I now need to start beavering  away on and making them more of a priority over the next 6 months, you wool not that my interests are far and wide. The vast majority are sciences from both ends of the spectrum and many between. I often soak of how scientists can become narrow minded to one area and got a brick wall when having an interest in many gives you a better idea and often answers seemingly unsolvable questions. The areas of animals would have the least benefit of Graphene, other than the gadgets that are used for their husbandry of course, but the areas that will see the greatest benefits could be computers, even if not at first.
The central processing units that sit inside the device you are using that is essentially the brain, for want if a better word, had biting hitting brick walls for awhile now. Anyone who followed this and had done for awhile week tell you that microchips are essentially slithers of silicon with tiny switches inside. You might immediately think of a light switch and this is essentially what they are! Each one represents a value from a choice of two, on and off or 1 or 0. There are a few mite details involved but this is what they are and the two number system used is of course binary. Now I could start cartwheeling off about the emergence of a process to represent three values in a single atom, spinning left/right/both ways but this is for another time. Simply realize that a single atom can carry three. Currently the switches and pipelines are a tiny fraction of the width of a human hair and when last I checked a two year old or more CPU at either 90 nanometers or 45 nanometers was about 40 atoms across. The trouble is they keep attempting to shrink them every couple of years and of late they get issues with the process. Now as the tiny sizes get smaller there was once upon a time two benefits; the smaller size meant mire transistors ( switches ) packed in and it ran with less heat. The heat which is produced by your CPU, including your PlayStation or XBox, is the wasted material or result of the inefficient chip! Might sound odd but when the frequency of the chip is cranked up the electrons are pushed through faster, but did to the nature of the design some of these quite literally leak out, this results in heat. So it is safe to say that the hotter a chip is the less efficient it is. In the two main companies there is a swapping around every so many years as to who had the hottest chips, because one cranks up the click frequency to try and compete with the other because gamers seem to think that 80 frames per second playing something like my Elder Scrolls Skyrim game is far better than 60 frames per second despite the fact your eyes cannot detect this?!

Essentially there is only one reason you could reliably give, without sounding like an idiot, as to why you purchase a system that  way over powered for anything you can buy today! I know because I built a system like this and would do so again if I could and that is that if you pay the money today then you know that in three years time you can still play the latest games with all their extra graphics and realism and not have to build another system just yet.

But it's not quite like that with others. For some strange reason many gamers not only replace these chips very regularly but they also do so with two extremely powerful graphics cards linked together?! This is known as either crossfire or SLI depending on which of the two graphics chips families you plump for. Yes they put there own graphics cards up for sale in the hope of then receiving the money to add to their own to buy cards, costing up to £700, and some far higher, each to them play the same games they were playing with no visual difference whatsoever on the one they just sold just so they can see a test that states it is 25% or more or so many frames per second higher than their last RIG.
Then despite the fact that the current cards all play everything effortlessly, unless your an idiot at the tight added end of the scale and pay way less than £100 for just one card, they are on the Internet complaining that the newest to of the range chip is only 5 or 10 percent faster than the one is replaces?! Quite obviously spoilt by the release that had bigger increases in speed!

They actually get into camps of one company or the other and fling insults at each other and poking fun at each others CPUs our graphics cards?! Doing the work of companies worth billions of dollars who could not give two hoots about their customers! Especially one that has a microchip out that physically had eight cores inside it, effectively eight chips in one, yet only 6 of them work! You can trust me on this that this is quite intended and is extremely rife practice and you own something that is far more capable than you think but had been deliberately hindered. Your smart phone for one! They are the worst because you have no less than there companies fecking about with it bit wanting you to be able to do certain things with the device you just handed them 800 quid for!!

In the case of the 6 core CPU that is actually 8 this happens for one of two reasons. In this instance it is because their rivals chip that did have right cores (is 8 don't argue and get a life) was not add good as the creators had hoped so the first company switched off two cores, either lasered of struck through before grown on the silicon wafers. Because if there is no competition there is no need to sell you something that week last you much longer!! The fact that they do this when they are one of the richest and most famous companies in the world I find utterly disturbing and I am not alone on that!

The company is Intel (of the Pentium fame) and the chip is their to Core i7 chip. It should also be noted that this chip costs on its own before you but motherboards, memory, hard disks, cases, peripherals and monitors is closer to a thousand quid in English money! For that they deliberately hamper your chip! The other eight core chip was lambasted by fans of Intel for being somewhat less powerful and yet it was fat in some aspects and cost less than 200 quid on release?! So they complained about a chip that was 60% of the speed in some cases yet cost 20% or so of the other chip?! Arguing the toss about this they was, lol.
Now it might not immediately mean much with all this talk about the number of cores and you might think what is the point? But I can explain it quite simply. If you have a fair amount of music CDs and your converting them into mp3's or some other audio format for your mobile music player a single core chip from a decade back would convert a singer song in a few minutes. Today they can do this in second! But wait?! If they have 'x' amount of cores then they can do 'x' amount of songs at the same time! Oh yes and that is why we get excited, well because people like me can see ask the benefits! A show single core might have been able to control a couple of AI's, artificial intelligence, of people/aliens/animals, in a game. Today each core might be able to handle two to for times this and multiply that by the number of cores!

If you are not aware the specifications of the latest PlayStation 4 and XBOne surprised me. They both use the same chip but with slight differences. They use the underdog company, which is AMD and not Intel, but the chip uses less powerful cores but had EIGHT of them! You cannot buy this chip! I also expected them to use two graphics chips. This is because the underdog company produced a CPU with their very good graphics chip built INTO the CPU!! They have been doing this just a couple of years and it's now gotten to eyebrow raising proportions. The retail chip had only four CPU cores but now turns it that programmers can use the 8 graphics cores in the chip to handle non game related coding?! If out to good use in time this means that there is far less power used, or wasted, and can handle both having and noon gaming with aplomb! In essence a 12 core core chip?!

Price? £150 and they are complaining about that! Lol! Sometimes I scratch my head at the things I read about I really do! Added to this and admittedly there are issues but it's still early days in this technology but you can add just ONE graphics card and have your dual graphics set up! These new chips are quite correctly referred to as, not CPUs (Central Processing Unit) or GPUs (Graphics Processing Unit), APUs (Advanced Processing Unit).

For me these chips are teetering on the very edge of bedding extremely interesting, even now I very much would like to build one of these cheap systems. Of course despite computers being my thing, or one of them, the subject of my Degree but I am relying on them more and more for my chosen ... CAREER! LOL! The laptop I purchased two years ago plus was not the one I wanted at the time. I have been frustrated fur a long time by both it's lack of grunt and the typical Windows slowdown effect that had driven me nuts for years. It's painful right now and I am very averse to using it, which is a shame. To change some of this I stinky have to move away from using the normal hard disks, which work like audio tape but look like a whole set of record players stacked in top each other. For a free years now instead of the moving arms of the magnets shifting in and out of of all these disks you now have the option of something I stated to students at my University had to come at some point! Now you have Solid State Drives or SSD instead of the old HDD but these were expensive to start with. But there are no moving parts so less likely to breakdown but are several times faster and then some than hard disks! I wait seventeen minutes for Windows 7 to load where it would take merely seconds on an SSD. This also applies to everything that would normally be slow whether to load or compute things or load more things while using it!

The thing to do is have both dives while you out all your programs on the SSD due to loading and running things while files like documents, movies, music and the like would go on the HDD. Because these files do not need to load fast, add you watching and/or listening it's already losing it faster then it's playing! So you don't notice it. Unless your watching several movies at the same time of course!

I digress. So much so I have forgotten why I started this post! Lol!

This is of course my constant battle and chase of the tools I need to help me improve things. To help take away the aversions to work on things and therefore increase my production. In fact every aspect and every tool I use needs to be replaced by better ones and have done for something now.

I am currently determined to do something I know is either extremely hard or nigh on impossible. Build a PC and I am not talking about a thousand pound CPU  and two 800 pound graphics cards and a triple monitor screen set up! Oh no. A £140 APU motherboard, memory and SSD drive. So instead of £3000 we are talking ... umm let me fink?! Hmm around £500 plus the cost of a monitor.

Someone closer to me told me something that is very true and this is something that leads me right back around to the very reason I stated typing this post out ...

You have to spend money to make money!

However the people that are running my country, into the ground is all the evidence I ever see, do not seen to refuse this when they think they can snap their fingers and everyone sits simultaneously 'how high?'
While requesting help for living with my condition and telling the truth and consistently so, only forgetting certain aspects of it out from time to time, I have had it refused repeatedly. Desire the fact thus hero would have helped me in a job!
Running in parallel to these requests have also been the requests to help me fund a way of helping myself and creating my own business as such which had also been refused.

Yet these very organizations seem to know, no it's definitely know, whenever I spend a largish sum and the demands due payments for things that I not only should not have to pay but actually get no physical or visual benefit of!

If I decide to build this budget computer it will take me write awhile to do. Each item I buy week have to sit there untested until I complete the while system. Many individual items will take a month before I have the cash together just to buy each one and I would have to completely forego buying anything else! So it could be that it would take twelve weeks or more before I can build it! Twelve weeks of getting by with difficulties.
In other words it is a somewhat daunting task. It is also a daunting task I have been eyeing up the whole time I lived here which is 7 years! Lol! Last time I incorrectly decided on a laptop, a laptop less powerful than I was after and bought it from somewhere I should not have done after being misinformed about it. What I thought was ex demo was in fact refurbished! Not only this but built by probably the biggest name in computers it then broke down after some months and the casing came apart! The breakdown turned out to be the first hard drive failure I had experienced in ten years plus! The company was Hewlett Packard whose previous laptop I had lasted much better despite being plastic to the current ones aluminum housing?! Plus it took for years before the text started to come off the keys. About four of my keys on my current laptop had completely gone after just 6 months!!

Oh and it gets hot and is quite unmanageable is a portable device! Which kind of defeated the object of buying a laptop and I don't own any engine hoists! Lol!

I decided yesterday that I going to finally build this computer and I have already changed my mind, lol, while thinking if the other things I need like a working bike that's bit going to be the death of me in more ways than one!!

Life? What a pain in the fecking arse they make it while choosing to be Christian?!

Lol!

Girl gives father's CV to Mrs Obama http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-27152091

No comments:

Post a Comment